Skip to main navigationSkip to main content
The University of Southampton
University life

Brexit advice

Page last updated: Monday 3 June 2019

This page offers advice, links and contacts to help our students, future students and staff prepare for the UK’s withdrawal from the European Union (EU).

This page will be updated as more information becomes available, so please check it regularly.

Skip to the subject you want to learn more about using the links below.

**Read the University's statement on our  relationship with Europe.**


Tuition fees

The Government has stated that non-UK EU students starting courses in England in the 2019/20 academic year will continue to be eligible for 'home fee status', which means they will be charged the same tuition fees as UK students for the duration of their course. This also applies to current students.

The Universities Minister, Chris Skidmore announced on 28 May 2019 in Brussels that EU students starting courses in 2020/21 will have guaranteed home fee status. (Subject to meeting the usual eligibility rules).

EEA and Swiss Students

Many EEA and Swiss students are required to pay international fees, which vary according to university and course.

Some EEA and Swiss students may be eligible for the same fees as home students under specific conditions. Those conditions vary depending on whether you want to study in Scotland, Wales, England or Northern Ireland.

If you meet the requirements for home student fees, you are also likely to be eligible for funding support.

Find out if you are eligible for home fees at

Find out more about University of Southampton tuition fees.


Loans and grants

The Government has confirmed that EU students starting their course in 2019/20 will continue to be eligible for financial support from Student Finance England for the duration of their course.

It has also stated that "EU, EEA, EFTA and Swiss nationals within scope of the citizens' rights EU Settlement Scheme, and Irish nationals, will continue to be eligible for student finance support on broadly the same terms as now".

EU students remain eligible to apply for UKRI-funded PhD scholarships starting in 2019/20. UK universities are seeking confirmation that this will be the case under any Brexit scenario.

Find out more about PhD scholarships at



How will Brexit affect my pension?

USS Brexit FAQs



If you are an EU/EEA student arriving before 1 January 2021, you will not need a visa. You may need to register on arrival in the UK if you are planning to stay for more than three months.

In the event of a no-deal Brexit and you are arriving in the UK between Brexit and 31 December 2020, you should apply for European Temporary Leave to Remain, which will allow you to remain in the UK for three years.

Find out more about Temporary Leave to Remain at

If you are planning to arrive in the UK from 2021 onwards, you should apply for a student visa.

Find out more about applying for visas at, or visit the University's Visa and Immigration Student Advice Service.



In the event of a no-deal Brexit, some things may change for UK citizens planning to travel to the EU or EEA after Brexit.

Government advice for UK nationals travelling to the EU:

Government advice for EU/EEA citizens visiting the UK:



If you have applied to spend a year or semester abroad in the EU during the academic year 2019/2020, we encourage you to continue planning as normal. Any changes to the UK’s participation in the Erasmus+ programme will be communicated when it becomes clearer.

The University remains committed to the Erasmus+ programme and to ensuring exchange with European institutions continues. We are exploring options to help reduce the impact on students in the event that Erasmus+ funding is reduced.


EU Settlement Scheme

If a deal is reached between the UK and the EU, there will be no change to the immigration status of EU/EEA nationals who are already here or who arrive before the end of the Brexit implementation period on 31 December 2020. This was confirmed in the government's EU Settlement Scheme statement of intent

If a deal is reached, EU/EEA nationals and their eligible family members who already live in the UK, or who arrive by 31 December 2020, will be able to apply for either settled status or pre-settled status as part of the Government's EU Settlement Scheme.

Settled status

Settled status will allow EU nationals and their eligible family members who have lived continuously in the UK for at least five years to live, work and study here for as long as they like.

Pre-settled status

EU nationals and their eligible family members who have lived in the UK for less than five years will be able to apply for pre-settled status, which will allow them to meet the five-year residency requirement needed to apply for settled status.

Applying to the scheme

Find out more about the EU Settlement Scheme and how to apply at

**The deadline for applications is 30 June 2021.**

If you are applying before 30 March 2019 you will need an Android phone to download the EU Exit: ID Document Check app. This will not be necessary once the scheme opens fully on 30 March.

The University has arranged for suitable phones to be available for staff to use if you want to apply before 30 March. Contact Human Resources to make an appointment.

Many locations, including Southampton Register Office, are offering a document-scanning service for those who can't access the app. See the list of locations at


Recognition of UK degrees after Brexit

Most academic qualifications will still be recognised after the UK leaves the EU.

Recognition of some professional qualifications is more complicated, but UK universities are hoping that the mutual recognition of professional qualifications will continue.



The President and Vice-Chancellor has written to our key European partners to confirm our ongoing commitment to collaborate. 

Whatever form Brexit takes, the UK Government says it wants to have the option to associate with Horizon Europe, the EU research-funding programme that will run from 2021 to 2027 as a successor to Horizon 2020.

Current EU-funded projects

Current EU-funded projects will continue whatever form Brexit takes.

If a deal is reached and we enter into a transition period, EU funding will continue until the end of your project.

In the event of a no-deal Brexit, it is likely you will be required by the EU to report expenditure on projects up to Brexit, and any remaining unspent budget will be underwritten by the UK Government and we will claim post-Brexit costs from them.

Find out more about the Government’s underwrite commitment at

Applying for grants after Brexit

Collaborative Projects

Under a withdrawal agreement, the system for future bidding and management of new and existing awards will not change.

Under no deal, the Government has committed to provide the funding required for UK institutions to participate in Horizon 2020 (H2020) collaborative projects should the EU stop funding UK participants. This will allow UK participation in H2020 collaborative projects as third country (funded by own government) beneficiaries.

ERC Fellowships/Marie Sklodowska Curie Fellowships and Training Networks

Under a withdrawal agreement, UK universities will continue to be eligible to apply to ERC and Marie Sklodowska Curie Actions (MSCA) 2019 and 2020 Work Programme calls.

Under no deal, unless the terms and conditions of ERC funding change, UK institutions will no longer be able to apply to ERC calls after Brexit.

Current Horizon 2020 funding/current ERC grants/current Funding for Marie Sk?odowska-Curie Fellows

If we leave with a withdrawal agreement, you will see no change.

If there is a no-deal Brexit, the Government’s underwrite will apply.

Should the underwrite be needed, the University’s EU teams in Research and Innovation Services and the Finance department will provide information and support as necessary.

Privacy Settings 必威官网